The SEA LIFE TRUST Beluga Whale Sanctuary is the world’s first beluga whale sanctuary and is based in Klettsvik Bay on the Island of Heimaey. The bay will be home to the two beluga whales Little Grey and Little White who will be moved from Shanghai in China.
Come and visit us!
Our brand new Visitor Centre located in Vestmannaeyjar Harbour is now open and houses:
- Our native species aquarium allowing you to get up close to the other animals that share the belugas’ new home
- Our Puffin Rescue Centre – learn all about these amazing birds that inhabit the Vestmannaeyjar islands and hear about how we, along with the islanders, are helping to protect them
- The story of the Sanctuary and its resident beluga whales – learn all about why Heimaey is home to the belugas through interactive displays and information
Klettsvik Bay is across the harbour from our Visitor Centre and will be the new home for the resident belugas. During the summer months, we will run carefully managed boat trips to visit the bay from Vestmannaeyjar Harbour which allows you to view the belugas home from a discreet distance.
Choose what you see when you visit:
- Visitor Centre only
- Visitor Centre and Bay trip
- Bay only
The visitor centre is now open to the public with the two beluga whales, Little Grey and Little White, becoming residents in the bay in late Summer of 2019.
For more information and to book please visit www.sealifetrust.org/beluga-whale-sanctuary
We will be offering boat trips to the view the bay from a discreet distance.The boat trips last approx. 30 minutes and run at set times throughout the day.
*More information will be available and bookings will be opening soon.
- Visitor Centre, Aquarium & Puffin Rescue Centre
Online from ISK 3,500.00 per person
- Bay Trip, Visitor Centre, Aquarium & Puffin Rescue Centre
Online from ISK 8,500.00 per person – coming soon
- Bay trip only – Online from ISK 6,000.00 per person – coming soon
About the SEA LIFE TRUST
SEA LIFE TRUST is a registered charity (no. 1175859) working globally to protect the world’s oceans and the amazing marine life that lives within them. Our vision is of a world where our seas are healthy, protected and full of diverse life. We own and operate marine wildlife sanctuaries, run inspiring conservation campaigns and fund projects and education programmes that champion the need for plastic-free oceans, sustainable fishing, effective Marine Protected Areas and an end to over-exploitation of marine life. www.sealifetrust.org